Friday, August 06, 2010

Love of a child

This one is new, I picked it up from the curb
And waved it to my mother who was waiting by the car door
frowning, dear child what is this dirty thing?
A torn sock, gutted and loosely strung with threads all around
reminded me of a picture book I once read about a raggedy doll
who came to life upon meeting the love of a child.

Perhaps, I thought
if only I could love it, it would come alive!

Love it tried I, my mother disapproved and hurried,
Grumbling under her breath about the junk I brought home.
Why do you like this garbage? Why don't you like new dolls,
like all the other normal children?

I could never stop beaming, the imaginary doll
was already coming to life, buttons and yarn and the whole nine yards.
Loving her! He is such a delight, he's actually beautiful
But mother has plans, and her heart has forgotten what it means
to bring dolls to life. dirty, she mutters
Please don't throw him away
I pleaded

Don't

(because I love him)
I'll throw it away, I promise
But I kept him alive in my drawers
Dancing, and singing, and telling me stories until bedtime
He makes me laugh (I thought to my mother)
but she will never remember the feeling.

No comments: